Wednesday, May 12, 2010

What is Success to You?

As we all know success comes in many different ways and means very different things to each of us.  When I looked on the web for a definition of success I got 5,600,000 results and I'd have to say, that doesn't seem like many.  Why?  Because success is personal.  Success is generally associated with a feeling, and what generates that particular feeling for each of us will be different.

What is your definition of success? Before you can achieve success, you need to define what success means to you.

For me success is running a wonderful home based online personal development business (Secret Of Life Biz) which enables me to have the financial freedom to work hours that suit the needs of my young family.  It frees me up to attend school harmony days, cross-country events, take my small bub to swimming, attend dance classes and basically spend the quality time with my family that I desire and NOT have to put them into child care.  After all, I didn't have my children so that someone else could effectively raise them and be there for all their "firsts" while I worked away from them and missed out on it.  Because success and the Secret of Life for me is also about raising a caring, compassionate, happy and harmonious family which is probably the greatest challenge of all time!  Watching my young family growing into responsible and considerate members of our community is an absolute key to whether I am being successful as a parent.

Success for me is career based as well as in my role as a parent.  But success as I define it (and we each would do well to define it for ourselves) also includes developing myself as a human being and trying to find balance and harmony within myself which is why I am a keen advocate of personal development.  It includes things that keep the passion alive in me such as writing, painting, playing music and horse riding, as well as attaining a level of spirituality (not necessarily religion) which makes me feel fulfilled.  When I am fulfilled, I can also help to fill "other's cups" at times when they are depleted, which enables me to contribute to those around me and meet another of the aspects which I believe contribute to a successful life.

I'd really like to hear from you, about what success means to you and even the ways you go about creating that for yourself.  In this busy world it is not easy; sharing can simplify the journey.  Look forward to your contributions!  Ciao for now, Janine.

No comments:

Post a Comment